Moving from Texas to Omaha - PLO all the way
after I had not as much success in my NLHE journey, I will try it again at the PLO tables. While beeing on Youtube about a month ago, I saw this video by Phil Galfond about PLO:
I really liked his style of teaching and his thought process during the hands, so I watched this video and others of him over and over again, until I felt confident to sit down at the tables. After some hands, I figured out, that most players have a poor starting hand selection, which brings them in difficult spots, which most of them can't handle. As I started to feel more confident, I opened up my game a bit, which had terrible results at PLO10. So I decided to go back to my tighter style and I like the results so far (made 5 Buyins in the last four days not playing that much and not running too hot). So I will try to keep playing my style and hope I will be winning even more in the future.
Thanks to forum member Craziecookie (maybe I spelled him wrong, sorry for that), will start a no fap challenge today, because I think it is consuming far too much time, which I should be using more effictively.
Why I think, I will be more successful at PLO than in NLHE:
1. The game is played much more postflop than NLHE. That means, you have more information about your own and the opponents hand, when the big part of the money goes in.
2. The game is more complex, so there is much more room for mistakes.
3. I've never been at higher stakes in PLO, so the grinding at the microstakes won't be as frustrating as in NLHE, where I just couldn't wait to get to the limits I played in the past.
4. My mindgame and overall view on life changed very much in the last months, which makes me much more confident for the future.
My longterm goals:
- Move up from PLO 10 to PLO 100
- Not tilting and not getting overconfident
- Go to the gym again (I'm in really poor condition at the moment)
- Getting a professional poker lifestyle and treating it as a job rather than a hobby
- Smoke less
- not fapping
- Play at least 10k hands (sounds not much, but I have problems multitabling PLO at the moment, so this should be an okish goal for the first month)
- Find other people to train with/talk about the game (Study group or whatever)
- Not fapping from today until the end of August
- Go to the gym at least once a week
So I will post my results, some of my training resources and funny/interesting hands here. I hope, I can elate some people for PLO, becuase it seems to me, it is even more interesting and fun to play than NLHE.
Thats it for the first post. If you have questions, just ask. I will try to post results and so on tonight after I played. I'm playing at Partypoker by the way...