It has been proven that correct foods can help you think better/clearer. Why not take advantage of this in poker?
If food A makes you tired and food B makes you alert then doesn't it just make sense to eat food B before or during your grind?
As poker players we have to find every edge possible so here is another one for you. Just read the rest of this article, eat some of the foods and enjoy the everyday improvement.
Top ten brain foods for poker players
1. Walnuts. People who ate one handful of walnuts per day improved their working memory by 19%! They are also pretty tasty and make a great snack whilst grinding
2. Coffee. Small amounts can boost brainpower. Roughly 20-30 milligrams can make a huge difference to your day. Just don't get wired on the stuff.
3. Fish. I think this was the obvious one, they are packed with omega-3s which increase brain activity.
4. Spinach. Be the poker playing popeye! Spinach is packed with magnesium which helps dilate the blood vessels allowing blood to flow throughout the body and of course, the brain!
5. Olive oil. This helps reduce inflammation in your joints and cells. Keeping everything normal and ticking over.
6. Mussels. Filled with vitamin B12 it helps insulate your brain cells keeping you thinking clearer for longer. Very important as your ageing!
7. Dark chocolate. Cha-Ching! Obviously don't eat this all day or you will become a fatty but a few ounces a day will help improve blood flow to the brain. Stick to the pure stuff as Dairy Milks and Aeros don't have the same effect!
8. Peppermint. This can even be peppermint chewing gum. The smell has been associated with an increase in alertness and memory function by acting as a stimulant.
9. Oranges. Obviously Vitamin C! This is good for your body in general but its been proved it helps retina cells which our brains are filled with.
10. Berries. Any you choose are fine. These cut down the risk of parkinsons disease. So long term they are a great thing to keep on eating. Plus they taste awesome and make great snacks.
Hopefully these suggestions help improve your mental game!